Take a driver knowledge test online
Use this website to pay for and take an online driver knowledge test. You can pay for and take the test at the same time, or pay in advance and log in later with an access code to take the test.
What you'll need
To take your test online you'll need a:
- quiet, well-lit space, free from interruption
- desktop computer or laptop
- stable highspeed internet connection
- web camera connected to your computer
- Chrome, Firefox or Edge web browser*
- email address to register and receive your test results
You can't complete the test using:
- mobile phones or tablets
- Internet Explorer
How the test works
Your web camera will snap photos of you at the start and throughout your test. These photos will capture the test taker's identity and ensure everyone is following the guidelines listed below.
Before you start
Read through the do’s and don’ts below
Be sure you understand the rules and avoid having your test results delayed by a test review. Your passing grade could be overturned if a review can’t confirm you completed the test without help.
Take a sample test
Once you are ready to begin your test, you’ll have the option to take a sample test and get a feel for the testing procedure. Otherwise, you can start your web camera and begin your test.
If you don’t pass
You’ll need to purchase a retest for a test you didn't pass. Try again whenever you're ready, there's no waiting period to retake a test.
If you purchased a test bundle with more than one test:
- take all the tests before you purchase your retest bundle
- you only have to retake the tests you didn't pass
Select the retest from the retest product page
Dos and don'ts of taking the test
- set-up for your test in a well lit, quiet space away from people
- face the camera
- always keep your face fully visible to the camera
- keep your eyes on the screen as much as possible
- pick-up or answer your cell phone
- talk with other people
- leave your seat
- look-up information in textbooks or online
- do anything that looks like you’re getting help to complete the test
Tips for avoiding test result delays caused by a review:
- lighting is important, make sure your face appears brightly lit with no strong light sources behind you. A window behind you, for example, can cause problems
- try not to touch your face
- don't leave your seat
- don’t take your glasses on and off your face
- don’t eat or drink while taking the test
How we're protecting your information
When you take a driver knowledge test online your personal information is collected as allowed by the Motor Vehicle Act and the Freedom of Information Act and Protection of Privacy Act.
We will collect personal information including:
- your name
- phone number
- email address
- date of birth
- photographs of you taking the test
We will use this personal information to administer/process your test, ensure the validity of your result and confirm your identity when you obtain your licence.
Your personal information will only be used or disclosed for another purpose if:
- we are authorized by law to do so
- if we obtain your express consent
To read more about how government respects your privacy when interacting with us review our full Privacy Statement. For questions about how your personal information is handled in relation to this event, you may contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles at 1-800-898-7668.
* Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge (v. 44.17763.831.0 and higher)